Cooking with Kewpie offers a collection of recipes which were favorites of Rose or those that she would have encountered during her many regional and international travels.
Callie Mae and her husband Earl Keithley moved to Bonniebrook in 1926 and were the caretakers. Callie Mae cooked many meals for Rose. This original letter was written to Callie Mae from Rose a while at her Westport, Connecticut home - Carabas Castle inspired from the “Puss in Boots” story.
Chicken Fried Steak with Country Gravy
Chicken Fried Steak is traditionally served with the works – white cream gravy, mashed potatoes, fresh corn, green beans and biscuits. The following recipe was one Rose would have enjoyed at her Ozark home.
4-5 ounce beef round steak, trimmed, pounded/tenderized to ½” to ¼” thick
½ cup milk
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon black pepper
1. Combine the eggs and milk, beat well.
2. Separately combine the flour, salt and pepper.
3. Dip the steaks into the mixture, then into the seasoned flour.
4. Pan fry the steaks in hot oil until browned on both sides.
5. Drain on paper towels.
2 tablespoons fat with drippings, from the frying steaks
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 cups warmed milk
To taste salt and black pepper
1. Place the drippings in the pan over medium high heat. When hot, stir in the flour.
2. Remove from the heat and whisk in the warm milk.
3. Return to the heat and whisk until thickened and smooth. Cook 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Season with salt and pepper. Don’t skimp on the pepper.
Happy eating to you and yours.